Thursday, November 20, 2008

Joey and Kimmie



Well....I know I said not much has been going on, but today was busy.

The pictures are Kimmie and I will tell you her story after you hear about Joey!

Joey (my soon to be adopted by me - min pin) was hurt by another dog appr. a month ago. Joey (my little guy) picked on a dog three times his size and the other dog grabbed him in the head. He went to the vet and has been on prednisone for appr. 20 days. He walks kind of hunched over and leaning to one side. The prednisone helped, but as soon as he was weaned off of it, he started showing signs of pain and decreasing movement.

Today we saw Dr. Tomlinson at Twin Cities Rehab. Clinic for an hour evaluation and treatment. She was worried about permanent neurological damage, but after her assessment and chiropratic adjustment there was noticable improvement. He does have some exercises to work on at home and will be in for another adjustment on Monday. She thinks there is a good chance of recovery. We brought him home and he was walking and holding his head normally.

I got a call today from Heather at Minpin rescue that a female dog needed to come in. She was only 5 pounds and should weigh appr. 8 pounds. They were unsure of her story, but her owner could not take care of her or afford vet care.

I picked her up (she was wrapped in a blanket) from the vet and put her in the kennel. The vet did a fecal and it showed no signs of worms, etc. The vet said she looked healthly except for the low weight. They did a thorough set of blood work and we will have the results tomorrow, but did not think that there was anything wrong with her, other than the lack of nutrition. After instructions from the vet... I took her home.

Heather called the minute I walked in the door, but I still had not had a chance to really look at her. So, I opened her kennel and out she came (she had on a T-shirt), but you could see her hip bones sticking out with skin, but no sign of any meat on her bones. I took off her T-shirt and was horrified to see this beautiful little girl and all her bones sticking out through her skin. HOW CAN SOMEONE ALLOW THEIR PET TO GET TO THIS CONDITION!!! Her former vet records had been faxed over and in June 2008, she had received all her shots and weighed 7.6 pounds - now she weighs 5 pounds. She is only 14 months old and is needing love, care and attention.

She is currently quarantined from the rest of the animals, until I receive her bloodwork back tomorrow. It is a good thing that I have the next three days off from work. Between Joey's exercises and making sure Kimmie is eating small amounts of food every 3 hours - I am going to be busy.

I am still hoping to go Christmas shopping tomorrow and try to put a dent in the list.

No comments: